Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas cleaning! Yuletide readings! Fa la la la la oh dear I'm boring.

I changed around the side bar, mostly for my own benefit. I feel all constructive all of a sudden. Also, I get to change my books into books that I don't really have to read, because except for one upcoming easy final, this semester is finito.

Anyway I've been getting in the Christmas mood lately. Well, that and I move out of this lovely hell-house on Tuesday...I swear to gosh, I have an awful landlord who seems to enjoy breathing down people's necks, and thankfully I'm getting out. I mean it's gotten so bad that I'm afraid to make myself dinner because he's always down there, ready to passively-aggressively insult me for, like, not cleaning the lint trap in the dryer. So I just stay in my room and make tea and eat cliff bars and brood. So, long story short: lots of brooding.

Don't ever live with your landlord. Just don't. He walks around in my room when I'm not here.

So that's getting over with. I'm moving further away from school, near Commercial Drive, in the most adorable basement suite (I know, right?) with only one other person. I will start cooking full meals! Of course, this means that I have to get packed up and get most of that done tomorrow, since people are coming to look at the room Saturday and Sunday. It will be fun, though! Hasta la vista, butt-for-brains.

Oh, right, the books. Well I went around thriftin', which for me means shopping for clothes but buying books. Bought my own copy of The Awakening, and then got O! Pioneers by Willa Cather which so far is lovely, Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco which is pretty good so far but like smarter than I will ever be, but I like the language, and Lady Chatterly's Lover by D.H. Lawrence, which is apparently tittilating. That, and I'm re-reading The Bell Jar since it's in my Feminism class next semester, and it would be nice to find out what it was that blew my mind so much when I was 14. To be frank: The Bell Jar was integral to my coming of age. It was my "literature can be beautiful" and "god I want to write like this". It's probably what got me started into seriously considering English Literature for formal study, and one that I'll throw on my list of things that made me want to be a writer more. But honestly, I don't remember much of it.

On top of those I've got Tess of the D'Ubervilles, which I picked up at a book sale at school (fill up a bag for five bucks!), where I also got a collection of Transcendentalist essays, a history of the American South from 1800 to the Civil War, and a history of the American Fronteir. Oh, and I'm still going through Dorothy Parker's short stories.

Plus my mother is lending me Campbell's Hero With A Thousand Faces and V by Thomas Pynchon.

And I can spend two weeks of Christmas Break reading as much of that list as I possibly can. I can feel in my bones that next semester's gonna be reading-heavy, and I want to get as much me-reading time in as possible, along with me-writing time, and sleep. And work.

Man it's like I don't ever want friends.

Oh and I started working on another writing project. What.

No comments: