Saturday, November 22, 2008

Mid-Studying Post-Election Political Commentary

For the love of everything, no.

I mean, I thought that one of the nicest things about that beautiful sound defeat of Ms. Palin and that old guy almost three weeks ago was that it would shut her up and cart her back to Alaska, where she can make mooseburgers and go hunting with Maurice Minnefield and dream of Chris In The Morning. Like everyone in Alaska does.

But talk shows? Movies? Oprah? Come on, media. Leave it alone. Sarah Palin was a bad idea, was one of the reasons that so many independents left the Republican ticket, and one of the most embarassing examples of what the old Conservatives like to call the new Conservative values, oh, and also feminism.

Does anyone sort of snort when McCain and the others call Palin's policies and so on "fresh" or "new"? I mean, say what you will, but she stands for the same shit that they've always stood for. And a New Conservative is an oxymoron. What, are you going to change even less than you already were?

And is what Sarah Palin does now really count as "Politics", or is she just a celebrity? The folksy Paris?

To her credit, I have seen a few interviews with Palin, and it seems like the first time that she's being candid, which makes me feel almost sorry for her. I mean, if she's that kind of honest when it's just the local Anchorage station, how much scripted crap did they have to shove down her throat when she got on the ticket? Though the interviews tell me that she's informed, more than she seemed before, she still comes across as a bit too small-town folksy, she gets the facts but doesn't seem to turn them into ideas.

But hey, Coulter loves her. I know, right? Nothing says "you will do well" like an endorsement from Ann "The Man" Coulter.

I'm being mean.

At least I've seen Palin back down from that stupid hockey pitbull persona that irritated me so much, and just admitted that they lost because people wanted change and she wasn't it. She seemed more tired than irate, more normal than the conservative messaiah that so many claimed that she was.

So just back off. Leave her alone. At this point I don't care if she's just like me, or the Republican me, or if her doctor is Joel Fleishman, or if she's the Zodiac Killer, or if Bristol actually got an abortion and they were just faking that life thing. Look; she's not going to run for president in 2012, she's not going to try for Ted Steven's absent senate seat. She's going to finish her term(s) as Governor, maybe become and advisor or some shit, and just disappear from the national spotlight. That's what's best for everyone; even if she stays around, doesn't it seem that this candidness that she's showing, this sudden understanding of what's going on without stumping, won't that make it obvious that she was being molded by McCain and Co., that there really was (har har) something going on with that campaign?

There's my two cents. Man I wish that I was able to write essays in my sleep, because I have two to write, one tomorrow and one for Thursday. God, one week of school left. Also, one week (exactly) until my birthday. I found out that my family is coming to visit for that weekend, so I'm starting to look forward to it, because oh my god they are taking me shopping in Seattle. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

No comments: