Thursday, January 3, 2008

Oil Pastels, take one

First of all....Go Obama!! But against Huckabee? That's gonna be a weird race...If I was an independent voter, I think my head would spin at the very idea.

Moving on, I tried out my new Cray-Pas Expresionist (zing!) oil pastels today:


Persephone by ~Shmedgehog on deviantART

It's Persephone as the High Priestess!!!! I'm trying to get a handle on these here pastels for the trip. What do you think? Personally, I think that, for bigger and more complicated compositions like this, I need bigger paper...something more than 8 1/2 x 12.

I'm thinking of expanding this to design a deck of tarot cards based on Western mythology (Greek/Nordic/Celtic). If only I hadn't left my Mythology encyclopedia at home...here are some basic thoughts:

Fool: Dionysus (G)
Magician: Prometheus (G)
High Priestess: Persephone (G)
Empress: Epona (C)
Emperor: Dagda (C)
Hierophant:
Lovers: Cupid/Psyche (G)
Chariot:
Strength: Thor (N)
Hermit:
Wheel of Fortune: Fates (Appear in all three)
Justice: Morrigan (C)
Hanged Man: Odin (N)
Death: Hel (N)
Temperance: Brigid (C)
Devil: Loki (N)
Tower:
Star: Etain (C)
Moon: Artemis (G)
Sun: Apollo (G)
Judgement: Heimdall (N)
World: Yggdrasil (N)

A few left unfilled...maybe someone can give me an idea. Hmm? Hmm?

No comments: