Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Mix Tape!

Every now and again I like to put these together, driven by fancy of curiosity or that cumpulsion of "I wish I could hear these 10-14 songs all together instead of skipping around on my iTunes, that would be the best. The best!". This is the first time I've done it on Blogger, but there are a couple over on Myspace. On that note, have you ever noticed that by one's mere existence on Myspace, they automatically think that you will want to listen to whatever crappy band takes an interest? Call me loopy, but I don't think that's the case with most people; even though it's nice to get the "THANKS FOR ADDING OUR CRAPPY BAND WE LOVE THE SUPPORT YOU ARE THE GREATEST" comments afterwards, because it gives you the impression that the fame of such a band relies on a single person who they've never met.

Moving on to the tape. Actually, it's a bunch of mp3s.

The theme here is loneliness. Not outright despondent "my lover has left me for another and i'm so far behind on my electric bill it's not even funny, but i'll sit in the dark and cry anyway" loneliness, but that sort of growing loneliness that wraps around you like a warm blanket. It's comforting and painful at the same time. At times like this, all you want to do is wallow in your lonely adriftness, and this is the soundtrack for you. The download (if you choose to download it) won't list the tracks in the order i want them to be on the list, so here's how I have them:




As is the best way to do it, here's a short lyric from each of the non-instrumental pieces to help explain how they got there:

"River": I wish I had a river I could skate away on (duh)
"Disappear": I don't think we're meant to stay here very long//I don't dream of bringing heaven down//not like this, I'd rather move on
"I Wish I Was The Moon": God bless me I'm a free man with no place free to go//I'm parylized and collar-tight//no pills for what I fear
"Listening to Otis Redding At Home During Christmastime":Home is where beds are made and butter is added to toast//On a cold afternoon you can float room to room like a ghost//Take the creche out and argue about who gets to set up the kings//And I know that it's hom because that's where the stereo sings "I've got dreams to remember"

"There is a Light that Never Goes Out": Driving in your car//oh I never never want to go home//because I haven't got one anymore
"Hallelujah":Even though it all went wrong//I'll stand before the Lord of Song//With nothing on my tongue but "hallelujah"
"Fox In The Snow":Girl in the snow, where do you go//to find someone who will do//to tell someone all the truth before it kills you//and listen to your crazy laugh before you hang a right and disappear from sight
"The District Sleeps Alone Tonight":The district sleeps alone tonight after the bars turn out their lights//and send the autos swerving into the loneliest evening//and I am finally seeing why I was the one worth leaving

"Onliest":Sweetness of the salty wind//Depth of love when it just begins//A pint for me and one for you//Say a toast with all who knew
"The Absence of God"I say there's trouble when everything is fine//the need to destroy things creeps up on me every time
"You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome" Purple clover, Queen Anne lace//crimson hair across your face//you could make me cry if you don't know

As you noticed, the songs are split into three categories, that are loosely linked thematically. Most of the correlation is in the style of music. The first section is folk or country-esque songs, as they are reprisented by "Dora Mae's Funeral". The next section is more poppy, and melancholy; dealing more with personal relationships. The last three are more up-tempo and brighter. The melancholy mood ends after "Onliest", and the last two songs are still lonely but a little happier to listen to. And I thought that Peyroux's lovely cover of "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesone" was a perfect cap on such a sweet little set of songs.

So feel free to download, wallow, and enjoy. You can find the file here.

No comments: