Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Breaking it Down

...And I have felt
A presence that disturbs me with the joy
Of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime
Of something far more deeply interfused,
Whose dwelling is the light of setting suns,
And the round ocean and the living air,
And the blue sky, and in the mind of man:
A motion and a spirit, that impels
All thinking things, all objects of all thought,
And rolls through all things.


Wordsworth

So today I'm going to seriously start being serious about Secret of the Clockwork Mouse, and I'm started to do some revisions of the drafts for the earlier chapters. Here's how I've broken down what my work schedule is gonna look like for the next three months:

1 page single-spaced (helvetica font)=approx. 600 words
1 chapter=8-10 pages single-spaced=4800-6000 words
36 chapters=288-360 pages single-spaced=172,800-216,000 words total

12 weeks=14,400-18,000 words per week=2057-2571 words per day

Ready steady go! Based on how I usually write fiction, that's about three to five hours a day, depending on how motivated, rested, inspired, and generally smart I am. I'm plastering my walls with chapter summaries and writing out full character bios and descriptions, as well as location descriptions. I still have research to do, especially in reference to Atlantic City and money at the time, but I don't think that'll be a problem now that I'm in the states.

No comments: