Saturday, June 14, 2008

I think that the summer reading list will be shot to heckidy heck

There's gotta be some nobility in biting off more than you can chew; at least you have the bravery to say "I believe in myself enough to chew this much!"

I went to the library today. It was the main branch of the library, it was big and pretty and full of books, and I couldn't help myself. So I'm currently working my way into Save Me The Waltz, which is full of beautiful Southern imagery and was written by Zelda Fitzgerald, who was pretty great? So I've got that, and Portrait of the Artist, and Goethe's Faust Part One on my "to read" shelf. I don't actually have a "to read" shelf. It's the floor by my bed, and whatever I roll over and grab is what I'm reading. While at the library I also grabbed T.S. Eliot and 1x1 by E.E. Cummings, to serve as the petit-fours desserts to my big happy heavy reading.

And the best part about Save Me The Waltz (besides giving me an excuse to buy the poster)? In the collected works that I grabbed, it's followed by a play Zelda wrote called Scandalabra: A Farce Fantasy in a Prologue and Three Acts. Who wins at everything except not being crazy? Z. Fitz.

It was a busy day downtown; it's Pride Fest and like twelve Saturday markets, all full of fiddle players. Saw a few sterling silver rings that were handmade and $5, as well as a fabric store that had the cutest dress patterns.

And I went to Anthropologie. They're hiring, I picked up an application and will submit it tomorrow, hopefully. Mom says that getting a job at Anthropologie is dangerous, but I say that it's practical. I need a job, I need a new wardrobe. So I'm applying for that as well as Urban Outfitters, since it's the same discount and goddamit I want to work in a nice air conditioned store that sells things that I would buy to people that I would talk to.

Aaaaaand for $2.50 I picked up a CD of "Great French Classics", which isn't the most distinguished sounding classical albums, but it has a few pieces that I was wanting to fill: Debussy's La Mer, The overture from Orphée dans l'enfer, Habanera from Carmen, and some Ravel. I'm also going to see if I can find a download of Martha Wainwright's new album, I Know You're Married But I Have Feelings Too.

Did you know that Saint-Saën's mother fainted the first time that Danse Macabre was performed?

Still writing writing writing. My mother seems dead-set on getting a kitten, which is the smartest thing that my mother has done or thought in the past year.

No comments: