Monday, August 25, 2008

Go sing songs, go rock on

Check it out:
This makes Minneapolis/St Paul the place to be next week:
It's right outside of the airport! I know that I haven't watched The Daily Show in forever, so this reminds me of how nice it is to see Jon Stewart and his pack of well-dressed satirists tearing the GOP a new one. God bless America.

So yes, I did see day one of the Democratic National Convention; or at least most of it. I made the stupid mistake of thinking that CNN would do more than "Dear god, what will we dooooooo about CLIIIIIIINTOOOOOOOOOOON?!" for hours on end. Give it up, you guys. So I switched over in time to C-SPAN to see Nancy Pelosi speak, and though I enjoyed all of the speeches, for the most part I was underwhelmed by the overall feel of things. Yes, we have Hope, and we want Change, and we'll fight for Obama. Pelosi did the attacks (which I've been waiting for the most) the best, getting the crowd to chant over and over, "John McCain is wrong", and what she said about his record was a great attack: "The Republicans say that John McCain has 26 years of experience. We say that John McCain has 26 years of being wrong."

And of course, I got a little misty when Ted Kennedy came out to speak and said that nothing would keep him from being there. The fact that the entire remainder of the Kennedy family supports Obama is a huge deal, and it seems pretty obvious that the camp is glad to have it, what with all the Kennedy signs flying through the audience...with "barackobama.com" printed right below them. I enjoyed hearing Jesse Jackson, Jr. speak, as well as Michelle Obama, and I was glad to hear her acknowledge–however briefly–the 18 million votes that Hillary Clinton won in the primary elections. I think that, overall, they did a good enough job as showing Obama as the family-loving everyman instead of just the high-minded intellectual celebrity that the Republicans like to peg him as.

Of course, the big question on everyone's mind, as CNN showed before, is what will happen with the Clinton camp: the inclusion of her name in the vote as well as giving voice to Michigan and Florida, two states that she would have won, as well as the selection of Joe Biden for VP instead of Clinton has re-opened the can of worms that is the so-called rivalry between the two senators. And though I know that Clinton and Obama aren't the best of friends right now, I doubt that Hillary is so immature that she would continue to bear a grudge up to this point, or to allow her supporters to. Tomorrow night, and Bill's speech on Wednesday, will hopefully clear the air on that subject and put it to rest, and hopefully shut down the two recent attack ads that McCain aired that urged Hillary supporters to vote McCain.

By the way: if you support Hillary Clinton, then do what she would do and vote Democrat. Voting on a grudge because your candidate didn't make it is the wrong way to vote, period.

So tonight I think that I'm going to write as much as I can, since I've become so bad about it in the past while. Tea and writing! socks and hummus!

My life is getting sad. My job is over, and it's making me feel a weird unfulfilled sensation, which only happens when you leave school after a good semester, or say goodbye for what you know will be years. The irony is, on my first day not working with the DNC, my Obama sweater came in the mail and I watched the convention. Talk about not letting go easy. But this time next week I'll be settled into my new home, going out to dinner with Amanda and Aletheia and hopefully Peter and Esther, enjoying my return to BC and to University, and entering into my last year.

One last thing before I disappear for another week:
Listen to it (when it comes out legally, yuk yuk yuk). I'm actually liking it more than The Stage Names. Less of that meta-fiction self-awareness shtick that made The Stage Names a bit tiresome after a while, though when it needs to be, The Stand Ins has plenty or well-matured cynicism. Also, it sounds like it would be good live, and I'm going to see them on the 18th. YAY.

No comments: