Saturday, June 27, 2009

Get your Google on

Or Wikipedia. Whichever.

I don't know how many of these I'll do, but these are a couple people whom I believe the Googling of and knowing about would probably do most people good. I've had them all on my mind for a while, but now they are true, because they are blogged.

1) Clara Bow. Hollywood's first sex symbol, "it" girl, flappper, took a terrible life and enchanted the world.

2) Zelda Fitzgerald. Wife of F. Scott, gifted and troubled, remembered more for her insanity than for her own writing.

3) Franz von Stuck. German Symbolist painter extraordinaire, almost forgotten outside of Munich, many paintings border on erotica, designed his house from the floor to the dome.

4) Ralph Ellison. Wrote a novel that fits between DuBois and Dostoevsky, blew Faulkner away, and made Jazz work on the page like no other.

5) The entire cast of Amadeus. Despite having three hours worth of incredible performances, no one really did anything after this film, find them and bring them back. Seriously, only three members of the cast have pictures on IMDB, and two of them are pictures from Amadeus.


Also, I want to say something about True Blood. After every episode of True Blood, I feel as though I've been beaten over the head with a Stupid Stick, that is also full of heroin, and thus I keep doing it. Luckily for me, I now have a membership at Movie Madness here in PDX, which means that I can just grab Nosferatu or Christopher-Lee-As-Dracula anytime I need some real Vampire shit.

Can anyone ever do Vampires right again? Should I try? I don't know.

No comments: